Home arrow Realtalk
Realtalk Forum Index
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Premier Bookstore
Re: Long term cough
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re: Long term cough
Ellieann (User)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Long term cough 2 Years, 11 Months ago  
Firstly please do not send me links to products (unless you are a long time member here). I only want to know what you personally think.

For ten weeks now I have had an annoying cough. I've taken heaps of cough mixtures, strepsils, vitamin Cs, lemon and honey drinks, been to the docs 2x and got antibiotics, had xrays done. But I still have the cough One doc said there is such a thing as the 100 day cough, lets see how you are after three and a half more weeks!

My cough keeps me up at night, causes me to leave lectures half way through a class because I cant control it. I have chewing gum and strepsils and chewing mints to try and curtail the tickles but sometimes I just cannot stop the coughing. Anyone else experiencing this, through this winter??

Apart from the cough I feel very healthy. The cold/flu that started it all is gone.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

The administrator has disabled public write access.
KKK Katy (User)
graph
Re: Long term cough 2 Years, 11 Months ago  
Poor you EllieA. I have had a cough myself for this past week and a bit . Started as a nasty head cold , sinussy thing which went down on to my chest and seems to have settled there. So much mucous and so hard to get rid of. Because I have also been having trouble with BP fluctuations My doc did not want to give me medicines to dry it out, or cough medicines to take because most of them interfere with BP he said. . When I spoke to the chemist afterwards though, he told me about the new tablet called Mucinex which he said does not interfere with BP and which would be safe. I have only had 3 pills so far - you take one , twice a day, and It has certainly help to loosen all that horrid stuff, and I have felt heaps better today . So, I am hoping , fingers crossed, that I will not be barking all over everyone while I am air bound next week.
The damn things cost me about $20.00 though, so they are not cheap if they do not work for you.
It is so exhausting isn't it, just cough, cough coughing, I was hoping that my Doc would give me an antibiotic to bet me right before I go, but he would not. He said that if the sputum is clear, than there is no infection present, so antibiotic not necessary.
Have you tried sucking one of those old Kurol cough lollies ? I find they help calm a bout. I was a meeting today, and as soon as I felt the tickly bubbly feeling at the base of my throat I popped one of those Kurols. Foul tasting, but it worked. I have got one in my pocket every where I go at the present time. It is a pain in the proverbial all this, we will be glad to see the summer when it comes, so we can move on from all these yucky winter ailments . You take care of yourself now.

Delta (User)
graphgraph
Have had this one! An african doctor explained that when the bronchial tubes are damaged by a virus, once the virus clears up the bronchial tubes start to heal, that healing "tickles" and causes us to cough, which further damages the tubes, eventually the damage is less than the healing and slowly we get back to normal, "note slowwwllly". good luck and heaps of hugs. Luv, D.

faye (User)
graphgraph
Some medations can cause an ongoing annoying cough, mainly some blood pressure tabs and beta blockers.

Go to top Post Reply